The cohosts of NEW SOUL KITCHEN, Chef Jernard Wells and Chef Porsche Thomas, served up two signature versions of lasagna that will make your taste buds fall in love and we have the full recipes here!
Chef Jernard made his signature Mississippi Love BBQ Lasagna, a traditional lasagna with a BBQ sauce twist. While Chef Porsche paid tribute to her mother with Chelle’s Homestyle Lasagna, a full flavor vegan lasagna.
Mississippi Love BBQ Lasagna:Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jernard Wells
- 1 pound No BAKE lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1-pound ground beef cooked
- 1⁄2-pound mild ground Italian sausage
- kosher salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups of Barbecue Sauce
- 7 crushed tomatoes in processor
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 32 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1-pound mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of provolone cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large pan heat olive oil over medium low heat and sauté́ onion and garlic until onions are translucent about 3-4 minutes.
- Turn heat to medium and add beef and ground sausage to the pot, break up meat into small pieces and cook about 6 minutes. Drain fat drippings from the pan. Season meat with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano & parsley.
- Add Barbecue Sauce, crushed tomatoes, oregano, and parsley and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley.
- Reserve about 1 cup of meat sauce and 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese for topping the lasagna.
- Lightly coat or spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with oil. Add just enough sauce to lightly cover the bottom of the dish to prevent sticking.
- Layer 3 to 4 sheets of lasagna, top with 1/4 of ricotta cheese mixture, 1/4 meat sauce, and 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat for 2-3 more layers.
- On the top layer pour the reserved meat sauce and cover evenly with the reserved mozzarella cheese and provolone.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the cheese is hot and golden brown. Before slicing, allow the lasagna to rest for 15 minutes.
Chelle’s Homestyle Lasagna: Recipe Courtesy of Porsche Thomas
Yield: 6 to 8 servings/Total Time: 5 ½ hours?? Or 1 ½ hours
- 1 package of vegan no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 ½ cup Hazelnut ricotta (see below)
- 1 package Beyond Meat© “beef” crumbles
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 bag frozen spinach, defrosted and patted dry
- 1 package Daiya© mozzarella shreds (1/2 cup separated)
- 4 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° (or 375)
- Prepare the hazelnut ricotta and casher cheese as directed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat avocado oil. When hot, add beef crumbles, salt, pepper, garlic
powder and ketchup. Allow to brown and heat thoroughly. Set aside.
- Ladle some marinara in a 9×12 baking dish. Place noodles on the marinara to cover the
bottom of the dish. Top noodles with more marinara sauce. Spoon half of the ricotta
cheese over the noodles evenly.
- Next, spoon half of the “beef” crumbles over the ricotta. Add 1/2 of the spinach evenly then half of the Daiya mozzarella.
- Add a second layer of lasagna noodles, followed by remaining ricotta, remaining “beef”
crumbles, remaining spinach, the other half of the Daiya mozzarella, and a few ladles of
- Add the final layer of noodles. Top with separated Daiya mozzarella and a few more
ladles of marinara. Sprinkle nutritional yeast over the top of the dish.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake 45-60 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional
15 minutes until the noodles have softened, the cheese has melted, and the sauce bubbles.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and let it sit and set about 15 minutes. Garnish with
Hazelnut Ricotta: Recipe Courtesy of Porsche Thomas
- 1 ½ cup hazelnuts, soaked at least 4 hours
- ½ cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender and pulse until but all
fully ground, making sure to scrape the sides until entire mixture is smooth.
Press play below for a clip from the episode.